Highlights of our Mum’s lemon poppy seed cake course
1. Mixing the ingredients
Preheat your oven to 150C.
This is a delicious cake to add to your recipe book so watch how Paul brings the ingredients together, with his usual run of commentary offering extra tips along the way. He then scoops the mix into an 8” tin before placing in the oven.
NOTE: The bake takes 1hr and 45mins
Paul tested his cake at 1hr, which is why his sunk a little.
2. Making the luscious lemon topping
Making this luxury topping requires icing sugar, lemons, vanilla extract, Philadelphia cheese and Paul’s secret ingredient! All will be revealed.
NOTE: Paul realises that his original guess of icing sugar needed to be doubled, which is reflected in the ingredient list.
3. Other ideas
Paul shares with you some other ideas you can incorporate with this lovely cake
4. Pro lesson
Everything a professional needs to know about a design like this
Learn how to make a tasty lemon and poppy seed cake...
Learn how to make a lemon poppy seed cake with Paul Bradford using his mum's secret recipe. A beautiful tasting cake to add to your recipe book, this is a great tutorial to learn for any budding bakers!
In the following cake tutorial you will learn how to:
- Bake with lemon and rind juice
- Line and correctly fill baking tins
- Test a bake
- Make luxury lemon topping
- and much, much more
Read why lemon cake is the nation's favourite!
View hundreds of more world-class tutorials only at www.cakeflix.com.
To make an 8” Square cake:
500g Self-raising flour
500g Castor sugar
500g unsalted butter
40g poppy seeds
2 Lemons grated rinds
3 Lemons squeezed juices
8 Medium eggs
1 Kg Icing sugar
110g Butter (Paul used salted, but you can use either)
Rind of 1 lemons
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150C
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add 1 egg at a time followed by one spoon of flour until all the eggs and flour are mixed through
- Fold-in the poppy seeds, lemon juice and lemon rinds
- Grease cake tin then add the mix, then pop in the oven for 1hr 45mins.
- Cream the Philadelphia and butter
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and rind
- Slowly add the icing sugar to achieve the right consistency