Highlights from the Coral Reef cake course.
1. Carving the cake
In lesson Paul takes you through the stages to get the basic shape of the coral reef and ganache the cake off camera for the next lesson.
Off camera Paul applied 2 thin coats of ganache to the cake. In this lesson we finish covering the cake and board with ganache then smooth it all off.
3. Creating the chocolate coral
Time to get creative as Paul shares his cool technique to making the coral using ice and ganache!
4. Texturing the cake
To give the coral some time to set Paul adds texture to the cake to give it a rocky effect.
5. Adding the chocolate coral
The coral has now set and is ready to be placed on the cake.
Paul brings out the airbrush and begins to add some colour to the coral.
7. making the gravel
In this lesson Paul uses a very interesting technique to make the gravel for the coral reef. Make sure to have a blender handy!
8. Making soft coral
Paul uses modelling paste to add more variations of the coral to the cake.
9. Making the fish
Paul shows you how to make different types of fish for the coral reef including the famous clown fish.
10. Airbrushing the coral
Time to bring out the airbrush as we begin to give colour to the coral.
11. Painting the fish
In this lesson Paul uses paint to bring the fish to life. You’ll be shown how to paint the clown fish, zebra fish and Paul’s very own fantasy fish!
12. Bringing it all together
All the hard work has finally paid off as it’s time to bring this magnificent cake together.
13. Other ideas
Some more ideas for the Coral Reef cake.
14. Pro Lesson
Everything a Pro needs to know about making and distributing a cake like this.
Coral Reef Cake Tutorial
Learn how to make this coral reef cake with the multi-award winning Paul Bradford. With lots of cool skills and techniques to learn, this is one cake tutorial that will take your cake decorating to new depths.
Inspired by a trip to the coral reef in Australia, this cake is perfect for fans of the sea.
In the following tutorial, you will learn how to:
- Carve cakes
- Make a coral from chocolate
- Create a sugar paste coral
- gravel & airbrush
- And much, much more
View hundreds of more world-class tutorials only at www.cakeflix.com.
- 8” square chocolate cake
- 6” square chocolate cake
- 6” round chocolate cake
- 14” round
- 1.4kg white chocolate ganache
- 150g Ivory
- 500g White
- 50g beige
- 50g pink
- 50g bottle green
- 50g brown
- 50g blue
- 50g purple
Luster Dust Colours
- Sugar Flare; Royal Gold, Gold Rush, Antique Gold
- Fractal Colors Sparkling Gold
Petal dust colours
- Rainbow dust black magic
- Rainbow dust lemon tart
- Rainbow dust snow drift
- The sugarmill orangeade
- The sugarmill sherbet lemon
- Sunflower sugar art orange
- Fractal colours lagoon blue
- Skin tone pallet – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Peach Melba – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Red – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Sky blue – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Lavender – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Hot Pink – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Orange – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Turquoise – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Latte – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Mint green – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Light blush – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Sage green – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- Smokey blue – ethanol based – Spectrum Flow
- 28% minimum cocoa
- 2kg white chocolate
- Palette knife (large and small)
- Sharp cutting knife
- Serrated knife (large)
- PME set
- Large fan brush
- #6 paintbrush
- #3 paintbrush
- #1 paintbrush
- Plastic cake smoothers
- Rolling pin
- Acetate smoothers
- 96% alcohol
- 26 gauge white florist wire
- Wire cutters
- 1 wooden bamboo dowel
- Cocktail sticks
- 3 bags of cocktail ice
- 2 large deep baking trays