Learn how to make buttercream at home...
In this free cake tutorial, we will teach you how to make buttercream from the comfort of your own home.
Buttercream is often one of the most popular fillings and toppings used for cake so it's an excellent icing to know how to make.
What you'll need...
- 500g of unsalted butter
- 1 kilo of icing sugar
- Metal scraper or spoon
- 2x mixing bowls
How to make buttercream at home...
- Cut your butter up into small chunks
- Put the butter in the microwave on a high heat for a couple of seconds at a time to soften it up (don't melt it)
- Add any flavourings you wish to your icing sugar (Paul uses vanilla extract in the video above)
- Add the butter to the mixer and mix it on a low speed to bring it together (you can whisk in a bowl if you don't have a mixer)
- Sieve icing sugar if lumpy and then add 1/3 of the icing sugar to the butter mix at a time. Allow time for each 1/3 to blend (your mixture should be quite stiff)
- Get your spoon/scraper and make sure the ingredients are mixed through properly
- Scrape all the mixture from the sides of the bowl etc together
- Mix again if necessary
- Add any flavourings you like such as vanilla, lemon etc.
- You can also add some milk, cream or condensed milk depending on taste to soften the mixture up
...and there you go, you know no how to make buttercream from home. As simple as that.
Looking for some buttercream cakes to try your hand at?
We've got over 800 hours worth of multi-award winning cake tutorials available for you all at the push of a button!
MAKE CAKES. BE HAPPY!