Learn this apple and lemon sandwich cake recipe from everyone’s favourite baker – Mary Berry
When life gives you lemons…..why not create this fantastic apple and lemon sandwich cake from the queen of baking herself – Mary Berry.
Quick to make and with plenty of flavour, we’re not sure if this baked delight counts as one (or even two) of your five a day but it will certainly leave your tastebuds satisfied!
So find out what you need below and let’s get started!
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 25-30 MINUTES, PLUS COOLING
MAKING THE SPONGE
- 225g (8oz) baking spread, straight from the fridge, plus extra for greasing
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and grated (see note)
- icing sugar, for dusting
MAKING THE LEMON FILLING
150ml (5fl oz) double cream
3 tbsp lemon curd
- You will need two 20cm (8in) round, loose-bottomed sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4, then grease each tin and line the base with a disc of baking paper.
- Measure all the sponge ingredients except the apple and icing sugar into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until combined. Fold the grated apple into the mixture, then divide between the tins and level the tops.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden, well risen and coming away from the sides of the tins. Allow to cool in the tins.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Whip the cream into soft peaks, then lightly swirl in the lemon curd. Invert the tins to remove the cakes and then peel away the paper. Sit one cake upside down on a serving plate. Spread the lemon cream to the edge of the sponge, place the other cake gently on top to sandwich the cakes together.
- Dust the top with icing sugar to serve.
NOTES FOR THE BAKER…
For a quicker way to grate the apple, core the apple first and then cut it into pieces. However, make sure you keep the skin on until you have grated the apple.
Once assembled, keep the cake in the fridge for up to a day but be sure to serve at room temperature.
Suitable for freezing.
FOR OVER 900 HOURS WORTH OF MULTI-AWARD WINNING ONLINE CAKE TUTORIALS AND MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE TRIAL WITH CAKEFLIX TODAY.