It has been said many times, most recently at the Cake Professionals Conference, that the cake industry is missing a set quality standard of achievement.
We all know stories of individuals who push out cheap cakes to a very low standard and quality, yet there are others who have put in the training and offer a quality product. How is a customer to set them apart?
CakeFlix launched the CakeFlix Master Training Programme on the 25th of May 2020.
This is a professional programme of learning, endorsed by FDQ, a leading UK Awarding Organisation for the food industry. The content has been written, checked and verified by cake and educational professionals, in order to provide this comprehensive, externally validated and accredited training programme. The standard of learning and assessment will ensure that those who achieve the CakeFlix Master, have something very special to be proud of.
There will be three programmes available; Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. At the time of writing, Covid-19 has put many Countries in lockdown. Unfortunately, this means that filming of the specialists needed for the Intermediate and Advanced modules has been curtailed.
The Foundation Programme has 8 modules covering the key cake decorating disciplines:
- Baking & Fillings
- Cupcakes, Cakepops & Cookies
- Sugar Flowers
- Sugar Models
- Royal Icing
- Novelty Cakes
- Wedding Cakes
Each module contains multiple detailed lessons and hours of learning. The learning modules are delivered by a series of videos and, downloadable, notes.
To ensure that the learner has completed and understood the module, there are a series of multiple choice tests and practical assignments set for each lesson. The practical assessment will require the learner to upload images of their completed work, which will be assessed against defined marking criteria. The aim is to make this certificate aspirational and represent a quality mark within the cake industry, due to the high standards set by the qualified accreditation body.
This certificate is not designed to market a brand, product or particular technique. CakeFlix are not sponsored by anyone, allowing the education and learning to be completely independent, open and an honest appraisal across the entire industry.
Each module will be available to purchase individually at £110.
All 8 Modules are required to become a CakeFlix Master – Foundation.
This will give you a certificate signed by CakeFlix, SMART Training Solutions and FDQ, plus a listing on www.cakeflix.com.
- Recognition of prior learning (RPL) provides an opportunity for successful candidates to skip a Programme i.e. skip Foundation to Intermediate or Advanced, or skip Intermediate to Advanced. The criteria is currently being worked on, however due to the bespoke nature of assessing RPL, the cost of assessment will be the same as completing the full Programme(s).
- The programme must be completed within 24 months of purchase. That is, from the date of purchase to passing the final assessment.
- Printable certificates are available upon completion of each module. Those who complete the full CakeFlix Master Foundation programme will also receive a certificate in the post, which is included in the price.
- All learning is online via video and text. Assessments are carried out via multiple choice questions and images of assignments that are to be uploaded and marked by an assessor.
This is a truly comprehensive Programme certified by FDQ, CakeFlix, SMART Training Solutions and written in conjunction with Cecilia Young, Chair of the British Sugarcraft Guild Scotland and Northern Ireland and External Verifier for Scottish Bakers.
For more information head to: www.cakeflix.com/programmes